Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2011 13:10:49 -0500
Pseudoreplication is defined as the use of inferential statistics to test
for treatment effects
with data from experiments where either treatments are  not replicated
(though samples may be) or
replicates are not statistically  independent.

A classic paper on this is:

Ecological Monographs 54(2), 1984,pp. 187-2~$3 1984 by the Ecological
Society of America 11
PSEUDOREPLICATION AND THE DESIGN OF ECOLOGICAL FIELD  EXPERIMENTS

STUART H. HURLBERT
Department of Biology, San Diego State  University,
San Diego, California 92182 USA

In 1984, Hurlbert stated:  "Scrutiny of 176 experimental studies  published
between 1960 and the present revealed that pseudoreplication occurred  in
27% of them, or 48% of all such studies that applied inferential statistics.
The incidence of pseudoreplication is especially high in studies of marine
benthos and small mammals."

Personally, I'd add bee studies to the list of high incidence of
pseudoreplication, based on many of the field studies that I have read,

Jerry

(Note, I learned about this in the early 1980s when I had a summer
internship with three of the  experts in this  field)