Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 2010 16:09:40 -0700
A friend of mine got a swarm call - about a week after the swarm.  It landed in the press box on a school's football.  We finally got to view the swarm's condition this afternoon.  There were still some bees flying against the viewing windows of the press box and a lot of dead bees on the desk top below the window and on the floor.  My buddy suddenly exclaimed, "There's the queen!".   And there she was flying up and down the face of the window.   I was able to catch her, put her in an empty soda pop bottle to transport her back  home.  I will be installing her in a split I'm making tomorrow.  This is in a swarm from the south side of our county seat.  As far as I know, there are no beekeepers in this area so the queen should be from a feral source.  It will be interesting to see what kind of colony she produces.

Mike in LA