From:
Michael Reddell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 01:33:01 -0800
(Thomas) (Cornick) wrote:

> 3  When using Apistan in early spring how much brood do you wait for to use
> these as early as possible and still be effective?

Don't wait!  Varroa mites hide and breed in the brood, so the less brood
there is the better your chance to knock down the mites effectively.  To
illustrate the point, one of the best times to treat for varroa is when
you've just captured a swarm.  There are no good hiding places for the
mites then because there is no brood at all.  I put swarms on plasticell
with Apistan in used boxes and they usually thrive.

Michael Reddell
http://www.hotcity.com/~mwr