From:
Adam Finkelstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 1995 15:20:48 +22299804
Gordon Scott wrote:
> Maybe it's time we started considering splitting bee-l and/or sci.a.b
> into context related subgroups.
>
> A better candidate still for splitting would be sci.a.b (except that
> not everyone who gets bee-l can get newsgroups). I think that sci.a.b's
> mandate is wider and maybe less biology oriented. An advantage with
> newsgroups is also that one can more easily filter stuff automatically
> for example, I always exclude postings with LOCAL in the subject line
> because that _usually_ means USA somewhere. Similarly, I'd probably
> filter our bears in the subject line -- not a problem we have in
> England ;-).

This should be posted to the newsgroup. (if it hasn't been)
The newsgroup is worldwide, the topics can be filtered --this issue is
discussed ad nauseam. If people want to discuss topics non USA related on
sci.agriculture.beekeeping, they should: nothing is stopping them.  If they
do not want to read specific topics, they don't have to. Creating a whole
new bunch of newsgroups is not the answer. I suggest reading news.groups
for awhile to see the politics, hassle and methodology of Usenet group
creation.

Adam