Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 2014 05:46:00 -0500
>> "Sure,come on down to organically managed New York City"

> Dream on ,Jim.
> As early as 2001...
> And as late as 2011 Aphis was still treating trees [in NYC].

And in 2013, the USDA announced that all of both Manhattan and Staten Island were completely free of Asian Longhorn Beetle, and the treatments stopped on these two islands:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/newsroom/2013/05/ny_alb.shtml
http://tinyurl.com/kdoljqh

There are parts of Brooklyn, Queens, and Long Island (all physically connected) where trees will still be treated, but both the East River and the Hudson River seem effective barriers to bees, due to wind velocity, so bees released on the Brooklyn or Queens side to not make it back to the Manhattan side and vice-versa.  I stopped marking and releasing bees years ago, as there comes a point where one has enough data and the attempt seems nothing but cruelty to the individual bees.

One of the USDA "tree climbers" was a very enthusiastic student in the 2008 novice class, and went on to become the first person I know of in NYC to manage his bees solely for the production of "locally-raised" splits to sell to other beekeepers. The "success" of the program meant that he was out of a job, and he got a new one... in Belgium, so he participates by email now.

Directly injecting imidacloprid into tree trunks still seems a highly speculative venture to me, and there a some folks up in the Worcester, MA area who are not at all happy about the ongoing program up there.  But I live on a small chain of islands off the coast of the United States, so we have a level of isolation that only water boundaries can maintain.