From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2006 09:15:23 -0500
David Croteau wrote:
> Bill, if you've been over wintering with honey for ten years, why wouldn't
> you say honey first sugar second & hfcs third.

Because that would only be my experience, along with the fact that I
manage my winter honey so little fall honey is left with my bees. The
facts are from a scientific study that confirms the order I posted. Good
science, in my world, trumps anecdotal evidence, but I live in a strange
world.

Please note that my bees have little fall honey for stores.

When I talked about solids, it really is the ash content of the
honey/sugar/HFCS. The higher the ash content, the more the need to poop.
It is not universal, but it seems the darker the honey, the higher the
ash content, so my summer honey is a better winter feed than fall. Plus
I have honeydew in the fall which is a very poor winter honey for my bees.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine