Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 19:55:44 -0600
From:[log in to unmask] (Ed Levi)
>Subject:Re: combining hives
>
>>I have a problem and could use some advice.
>>
>>My question is, how do I proceed here in Northwest Iowa where the
>>temperatures are already below freezing?  Will the two queens do
>>battle till one survives or do I run the danger of losing both
>>queens if I join the colonies?
>>
>>I have joined a queenless colony with a queenright colony many times
>>using the newspaper method, but I have never joined two queenright
>>colonies at this late time of the year.
>>
>>Suggestions?
>>Duane H. Bajema                     e-mail [log in to unmask]
>>Agriculture Department              712/722-6275 office
>>Dordt College                       712/722-1198 FAX
>>Sioux Center, IA 51250
Later, when it's colder here, I've seen combined hives overwinter with two
queens when combining two hive bodies with newspaper.  I've also seen them
cohabitate into the spring like that.  The trick, I believe, is to not
combine two queens until it's cold enough to not wonder into each other.
  Good luck, no promises,  Ed