Reply To:
Discussion of Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 1996 16:49:14 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
        A question for the group:                                               

Yesterday I did an extensive inspection on my strongest hive. A bear    
        had dumped this hive on May 25th. When I put the hive back together     
        my impression was that it had suffered only small colateral damage      
        to two pollen frames in the second deep, but I wanted to be sure        
        that everything was back to normal.                                     

This hive presently has three deep hive bodies. The first deep is a     
        nine frame deep with good brood comb. The second deep is a ten frame    
        deep with brood comb. The third deep was ten frames of new foundation   
        that I put on earlier this spring. The girls have drawn out about 4-5   
        frames by now. The first two deeps are chock full of bees.              

Now for my question. Should I rotate my deeps? If so how should it be   
        done? My inspection revealed older emerging brood in Deep #2 and        
uncapped                                                                        
        and newer brood in deep #1. Only some uncapped honey in deep #3.        
        I want to do a better job of managing and swarm control but the issue   
        of rotating deeps has me confused. I also put on a super yesterday to   
        give even more room.                                                    

Thanks for your answers in advance.                                     
Tim Peters, Kirby VT                                                            
[log in to unmask]                                                             
KirBee Apiary, Bear Bait Honey                                                  
I rather be flying!                                                             

ATOM RSS1 RSS2