From:
Paul S LeRoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 00:25:54 -0500
Why are there so many negative comments on BEE-L about thymol, apiguard
etc, those things that are not toxic to bees or humans and which varroa
apparently cannot develop immunity?  It would seem to me that if
beekeepers, commercial and hobbyist have enough sense to apply Apistan and
Cumafous? by label that if the thymol products were labeled as being
temperature dependent and show the temperatures and effectivity rates at
different temperatures that beekeepers surely have enough sense to apply
them accordingly.  If they dont the only harm done is the the beekeeper has
spent money on a product, not received maximum available benefit from it
but has not violated any laws or rules and has not created a monster of
varroa that nothing available today will kill.
Just an observation from a hobby beekeeper of 60 plus years, president of
local Beekeepers Association, Regional Representative to State Beekeepers
Association. One who does not use Apistan and Cumafous and teaches new
beekeepers that there is a way other than harsh, toxic chemicals to keep
bees through the process of Integrated Pest Management, queen selection for
hygenics and SMR qualites and other non toxic means to control mites and
other honeybee pests.
And before anyone flames me I and members of my Association have colonies
that have survived and been effective for more than 4 years using these
principles and pressing on to improve our knowledge and procedures.
Paul LeRoy- West central South Carolina

BEE-L subscribers are reminded to read and follow the
guidelines for posting, which are available online at:
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm