From:
Ari Seppälä <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2007 11:54:47 +0200
> You are right about questioning this logic.  Also, how do they
> *control* the drifting of bees from in-organic hives or the airborne
> pollution from industrial sources?  Grant it, remote and isolated
> areas will minimize both but will not eliminate them.  Both travel
> long distances.

There is no end to the list of demands  if organic is defined maximally
close to natural state and allowed 0 % potential for any residues. The line
has to be drawn into somewhere. The organic customers  don't normally know
where the line exactly is but trust that the line made by experts makes
product better. No or less residues, sustainability and animal welfare.

Careful robbing of selected wild hives without bee clothes and metal/
plastic tools or buckets in remote parts of Africa could fill almost all
demands.

But this kind of demands are not practical. I strongly recommend beekeepers
to try getting into the meetings where local demands are made. Beekeepers
need to be there to see that the rules come out in such way that it is
possible to produce honey accconding to them. I think that all countires
should be able to produce organic honey for their own consumers.

Ari Seppälä
Finland