From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 2010 18:55:27 -0800

> >Would you liked the above better if I had left the word Bayer out?

Gimme a break Bob--Hackenberg has gotten more free lunches from Bayer than I
have.  I've also posted again and again that Bayer's coumaphos was and is a
huge mistake in beekeeping!  So how about dropping the inane nonsense about
me being Bayer's or anyone elses' pocket, huh?

>Then at the 2002 Savannah ABF convention  Jeff Pettis dropped his
> bombshell!
> perhaps Allen remembers?

Bob, that was eight years ago!  Everyone in the world now knows about
miticide contamination of comb, so it is pretty hard for you to maintain any
sort of argument that "The effort to remove apistan & checkmite from the
market ( beekeepers not researchers) has failed mainly because research done
by Bayer."

In 2007, I stated in my article "The Arsenal: Our Choice of Chemical
Weapons,"  "That said, the buildup of some acaricides in combs has been well
documented (Bogdanov 1998; Wallner 1999; reviewed in Mutinelli & Baggio
2004).  Fries, et al. (1998) clearly found that coumaphos residues in combs
had strong effects on mite mortality, fluvalinate less so, and amitraz
nearly none.  Once a brood cycle had taken place in the combs, the effects
disappeared, presumably due to the barrier of the new cocoon.  This study
dealt with effects upon mites, but might be extrapolated for effects upon
bees."

Note that European researchers were well aware of miticide residue buildup
in comb back in 1998!

This is why I find it ironic that European beekeepers blamed Bayer's
imidacloprid for their problems, when they themselves were merrily dousing
their hives with the Bayer product coumaphos!

Randy Oliver