From:
"Frank I. Reiter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:16:23 -0400
Barry Birkey wrote:

> I want to at least respond to this much of your post.

Thank you. :)

> If made according to the plans, you end up with an 1/8"
> space above the frames and 1/4" below the frames, giving you a total of
> 3/8".

That conforms to the hives I already have then.

> I hope this clears up the confusion.

Not really, but it illustrates my point very nicely.  If I put a feeder box
(flat bottomed) on top of such a super, I would fear crushing the bees on
top of the frames, (Only 1/8" clearance) and from what I have read, the bees
will not be able to move above the frames to get to the opening in the
feeder box, and may gum this space up with propolis.  Is that right?

Also, the super you describe if placed on a bottom board with a 3/8" rim on
three sides (The usual design from what I have seen, and the one shown in
the Langstroth plans) will leave a 5/8" space beneath the bottom most
frames, and the bees will likely build burr comb in this space (mine do),
reducing ventilation and increasing the chances that a replaced frame will
crush bees.

This all seems really obvious to me, but I'm sure others were thinking these
same thoughts before I was even born, and yet it is beginning to seem to me
that a 1/8" space on top is more common in the industry than bee space on
top, and I don't understand why.  I don't like to tinker with things until I
feel I understand them.

Would it be accurate to say that most people use supers with the frames "In
the middle" of the super rather than level with the bottom?

If so, why?

Frank.
-----
The very act of seeking sets something in motion to meet us;
something in the universe, or in the unconscious responds as if
to an invitation.  - Jean Shinoda Bolen