Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2013 06:44:54 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
> This far-as-the-eye-can-see monoculture is more about misguided environmental, energy and farm policy than it is about feeding the world.

> I wish the public could see what you and I see Eugene!

First of all, I doubt whether you guys really agree about the solutions to this so-called problem. But the main point is what you see in the US -- monocropping, the same malls with the same fast food joints in every town, etc. is the product of a democratic society. As Churchill supposedly said, democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others. 

I find it odd that so many of the dyed in the wool anti-government people are clamoring for more regulations when it comes to their pet peeve. Do you really want the government to control all of the "environmental, energy and farm policy"? That was tried in the Soviet Union and failed. China is prospering now to the extent that they have embraced profit making businesses.

But I don't for a minute suggest that you guys are anti-profit. Who is? What this is about is my profit vs your profit. When my business is doing poorly, I want to find somebody to blame. The government is an easy target, they're everywhere. Less government is posited as the solution. Either that, or more government regs.

The point is, people are focusing on their special interest, and want more freedom for themselves and less for their competitors, or perceived antagonists. You need to put yourself in the other guy's shoes and realize that he or she wants the same thing that you do. Then, we need to work on some sort of compromise that gives as much to each party as possible. No one gets everything they want.

Pete

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2