From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:00:06 -0400
allen dick wrote:
> *all* research is flawed in some way

Because there are flaws in the research, that fact might and might not
invalidate the research. Most flaws are not killers but are something
that the researcher may have not thought of but does not cause the
results to be thrown out. It may be something as simple as temperature
(why did you not test at ...?). So you run it again and get the same
results, so all is well... or maybe not (did you change the pressure?).

I think the greatest chance of a flaw is when the researcher is
responsible for creating a computer model and then uses it to find
results. It is nearly impossible not to inject bias into the model to
arrive at the desired result. Since we are flawed, the more we inject
ourselves into the experiment, the greater the potential error.

All of us on the BeeList are flawed in some way, but that sure does not
stop us from posting :)

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine