From:
Paul Cherubini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Sep 2009 15:00:21 -0700
Chris Slade wrote:

> I wonder what happens to the birds in areas where
> insecticides are used.

Chris, some of the insecticides used on crops are also
registered for use directly on birds (e.g. Sevin,
Permethrin, Pyrethrins) and on the premises where
the birds are raised.

Here's a link where you can read about poultry
insecticides and miticides:
http://ipm.ncsu.edu/safety/notes/pfact5.htm

In my experience, birds, including swifts, are abundant
on the insecticide treated farmlands of the USA.  In fact,
last month a swift hit my car's grille while I was driving
though the immense monocultures of corn and soybeans in
south-central Minnesota:
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/4ALC/swift.jpg
I was hoping the bird was knocked unconscious only
momentarily, but unforunately it died about 5 minutes
after impact.

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.