From:
John Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 11:57:26 EDT
<I had a MASSIVE infestation of wax moths and wax moth larvae under the
board.>

So what?
I don't have a copy of "Honey Bee Pests, Predators and Diseases" so I can't
confirm what I recall (please correct me if I'm disemminating incorrect
information here), but isn't it true that the moths are only a problem in the
summer? All of the wax moths and larvae will die off with the first frost.
Don't most beekeepers do "spring cleaning" at some point? At that time, when
the hives are at their lightest, you can remove the screen and clean the
accumulated mess, since you'll be breaking the hive down anyway.
The question here seems to be which is a greater stress, the moths or the
extra 10% of mites?
As long as your hives are strong and healthy in the summer they won't be
badly stressed by the infestation beneath the screen, at least not with as
much potential for damage as they would be by the extra 10% of mites that the
screen thwarts.
The moths are the lesser of two evils.
John