From:
"Barricklow, Walt" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 05:27:19 -0500
We had a very mild winter here in south Carolina, and I had to replenish stores, as the bees did fly out, but there was not much blooming. Ive had several hives swarm, and caught most of them, but the largest hive I split.  The top half is behaving as expected, and the queen is doing well.  The bottom is trying, it has queen cells, lots of activity, all except the fact that it looks like they swarmed, but never left the face of the hive.  Ive had them move out to the face, and lots sun on the bottom board, but they are 2 inchs thick on the face of the hive.  I put out a swarm box, gently smoked some, but they are not moving.  Is this balling the queen?  Will they swarm and move, or eventually go back in the hive.  Could they need more room?  Ive never seen this many bees stay outside the hive, even though the nites are a bit cool at 50F degrees.  Should I attempt to scrape them into another super or just wait and see. It has already been 2 weeks.     Walt in sunny SC