From:
Ari Seppälä <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2007 13:57:30 +0300
About nature and bees in Finland

I know quite a bit just looking outside the window. It's true we have had a
spring that has been not near the averages. Bees had the first flight in
February mote than month earlier than average. The weather was after that
very warm, but when willows started to bloom it turned so cold that the bees
did not get much. Also the weather stayed + 10 - + 15 during dandilion
flowering and this prevented the bees from getting much. The past week has
been hot upper temperatures + 26 and it is promising the same for still a
week. Unfortunate for my bees the dandilions are almost gone and the next
flowers that give nectar are still closed. Most likely they will open after
about a week. The main crop from wild raspberries after two- three weeks. We
always have this 2 - 3 weeks without nectar this time of year. The bees
don't fly much as there is no nectar available.

As bees started raising brood a month earlier than normal and have got less
than normal from two most important spring plants, the hives have very
little or no honey. I have been feeding mine for the past 3 weeks in order
to keep them going . As I am an organic beekeeper this means feeding honey
and organic sugar.

We have had warnings in media  about high level of UV radiation. But the sun
is almost as high as it can bee for us, and the clear weather allows the
radiation in. The levels are high but nothing abnormal. Its quite recent
with this warnings as before the health officials did not worry so much. Now
they are better informed about the risks of cancer coming from burned skin.

The only new fact for me is reports from bumblebees that are dying in some
places. I figure that they are starving out as they also started earlier
than normal and have got very little food. Normal people call about the
bumblebees for beekeepers association and wonder if they are seeing CCD.

Ari Seppälä

Finland

Anyone on the list coming for IBRA beekeeping congress in Finland next week
?