Date:
Sun, 2 May 2010 08:13:13 -0400
Had an interesting experience.  I wintered a 1 and 1/2 frame observation
hive in the house this winter.  It did well and was getting way too
strong this spring.  Eight days ago I transferred them to a nuc and
moved the nuc several miles away.  I found a hive with a drone laying
queen and brought the nuc back to my home yard.  After combining the 2
hives I have a significant number of workers flying back to the site of
the observation hive entrance.  I am amazed that after 8 days at another
distant location the bees remember their previous site.  Any experience
about how long that hive location memory lasts?
Jack Rath
West Pawlet, VT