From:
"Gordon L. Scott" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 1995 17:04:51 GMT
Malcolm Roe writes:
> Michael Thigpen asks:
> >
> > I was informed by one of the tenants that bumble bees have "taken over"
> > the garage there. ....
>
> put it in a box to remove.  In this case I'd wear gloves.  There's a lot
> to be said for wearing a veil as well although bumble bees are much less
> aggressive then honey bees.

I agree with all Malcolm has said.  I too do  this  fairly  often.
Bumble  bees  often  make  a lot of noise considering how few bees
there are, but they don't *often* sting.  They do  sometimes  come
out of the nest is something of a noisy rush though.

I had occasion last year to take a nest  before  dusk  when  there
were  still a few bees out flying, so I invited the homeowner (who
by then was fascinated): "If you feel like it, put  any  straglers
into  a  ventilated jar and bring them to me -- I'll put them with
the rest as they *do* need their numbers." Over the next four days
he  brought  me  about 40 bees in a dozen jars, so it seems likely
that not all bumbles come home every night.

BTW, this was a big gorilla of a guy who spent an hour or so  each
of  those  nights,  sitting  by their ex-nest with a small fishing
net, just scooping them up. Definitely a softy at heart.

Regards,
--
Gordon Scott          [log in to unmask]   Compuserve 100332,3310
Basingstoke Beekeeper [log in to unmask]