From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2011 12:43:48 +1000
Bob wrote

> When I hear the above in outfits running quite a few bees I always am
> interested in what treatments they are using to prevent active disease. If
> you have not seen a single case in five years and have not used a
> preventive
> treatment then I would say you are due for a AFB issue.

I find this statement strange.  Why should a beekeeper who has not had AFB
for 5 years with no preventative treatment be due for AFB?  One reason I
could think of is that some other beekeeper is going to give it to that
beekeeper.  If the bees have been clear of AFB for that time there should
not be any residue of AFB in the outfit.  Any preventative treatment used
before the 5 years would be well and truly gone out of the system.  We know
that bees will break down with AFB if treatment is stopped and AFB is in the
outfit.  This normally happens with 3 to 15 months from research that has
been done.

Another reason could be introduction of infected gear to the outfit but if
only new equipment so introduced then AFB will not be a problem..

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA