From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2007 10:44:48 -0700
> I start feeding pollen sub (brewers yeast, 15% bee pollen and 77% solids
> sugar syrup) in first of sept, ALL the way till Jan 1.
> Right now they avg 20-25 frames, six to eight frames of brood. I put on
> about four rounds of  6 pound patties. I have done this for years.

Just for the record, and for those who lack your years of experience, where
exactly are you located, and when do you start feeding?  How much, and how
often?  When do you stop?  Why?

Also, how much natural pollen is in the comb when you start, and available
to foragers?  Do you see natural pollen coming in?  Steadily, or
sporadically?  Is any stored in the combs or is it consumed as it comes in?

I recall Andy showing pictures of boomer colonies built up in fall by
feeding yeast.  In fact I had a picture on my site that he provided.  Maybe
it is still, there.  We covered all this several times previously, and I
summarised what we found on honeybeeworld.com at those times.

(I went looking for the picture, and, although I got distracted before I
found it, here are some things that might be useful:
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/articles/pollenpatties.htm )

Also, there is a lot more of interest at
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/menus/topics.htm . Some is outdated, but
most is still applicable.

> All this talk about disappearing bees is due to mainly to nutrition.

 I find it hard to believe that *all* the lossses, including losses suffered
by very well informed and successful long-term beekeepers, can be attributed
only to nutrition, but who knows?

We all agree that well-nourished bees can withstand stresses that weaker
bees cannot.  Some of us differ on what constitutes good nourishment.
Nonetheless, it seems to me that even well-nourished bees can fall victim to
disease.  Our hope is that well-fed bees will be damaged less and recover
sooner.

> Some still don't know how to put on pollen patties.

This is very (unbelievably!)  true.  No matter how extension people repeat
the rules for supplementation, many beekeepers insist on ignoring them, then
don't check carefully to see the effects of their 'custom' method.  What a
waste of time, material and bees.  Fortunately, many more do follow the
rules and also monitor their hives to make sure the supply is constant and
being consumed properly.

> Just my two cents worth.

I value your contribution much higher than that. :)

allen