From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 17:37:55 -0400
Matthew wrote:

> My question is on wax-moth infested frames.  I purchases some used
> frames from a guy last year (Peirco one-piece) which the moths really
> went through.  Without scraping down the hives, I placed them in an
> out-building expecting the winter would freeze them.
>
> After 15 days of  consistent -20F temperatures this year, imagine my
> surprise when I open the hives to find LIVE larvae all over the frames.
> Now what?  Will the bees take care of these if I re-use them or should I
> scrape them all down?

Badly damaged combs cannot be used by the bees.  However, the bright spot
is that you have Pierco frames.  You can scrape off the junk down to the
plastic and reuse them.  If you are then able to give them a quick dunk in
hot melted beeswax, the acceptance will probably be better. However, the
frames ought to be accepted by bees, especially when the flow is on in full
force.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA