From:
queenbee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2007 23:38:00 +1000
> Firstly, it is not as if Australian bees have not been brought into North
> America previously over a long period, and even transported to the US
> previously as a result of sales of bees from Canada.  Moreover, those who
> did the first package imports into the US consulted with Canadians about
> their extensive experience with Australian stock before doing so, and the
> potential effects of mites was definitely one of their concerns.  As I
> stated previously, in my experience, there is little -- in that regard --
> distinguish the Australian bees I have owned from the US bees I have
> owned.

Back in the early days of Australia sending queen bees to Canada, some
queens were sent to Ontario for testing against tracheal mites.  Some lines
were very "resistant".  Others were not.  Probably puts them in the same
situation as most lines in the USA.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA
The cut off date, 15 May, for early bird registration for Apimondia is fast
approaching