From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2008 12:40:19 -0400
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/April2008/22/c8079.html

TORONTO, April 22 /CNW/ - The Home Depot(R) today announced that it will
voluntarily stop selling traditional pesticides and herbicides in its stores
across Canada by the end of 2008 and will increase its selection of
environmentally friendly alternatives.
    The Home Depot is the first home improvement retailer to stop selling
pesticides voluntarily across Canada and will phase out the products long
before legislated deadlines. The Home Depot stores in Quebec do not sell
pesticides. In addition, there are currently over 55 municipalities in Canada
where the residential use, but not sale, of pesticides is banned. As the
leader in the Canadian home improvement industry, The Home Depot will not sell
any traditional pesticides and currently offers over 50 natural alternatives
for its customers.
    "Like our customers, we, at The Home Depot, are concerned about the
environment," said Annette Verschuren, president of The Home Depot Canada and
Asia. "We are going above and beyond government regulations by working with
our suppliers to develop pesticide alternatives that are environmentally
friendly and produce excellent results on lawns and gardens."
    Pesticides will be phased out of The Home Depot stores across Canada
starting today. By June 2008, The Home Depot anticipates that 62 of its stores
nationwide will no longer sell pesticides, with all 166 stores offering
additional environmentally preferred replacement products by the end of 2008.
    "Our stores will prominently feature green pesticide alternatives, in
addition to our current Eco Options products, and our trained associates will
continue to provide customers with product information and tips, as well as
on-line support," added Verschuren.
    Product categories currently affected by The Home Depot's voluntary
phase-out include herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, slug baits, moss
control products and lawn fertilizers with weed control. A total of 60
products will be affected.
    As the environmental leader in the home improvement retail sector, The
Home Depot Canada has developed a number of environmental initiatives to date.
For the past eight years, the company has held its Mow Down Pollution
lawnmower trade-in event to help consumers reduce smog emissions when trimming
their lawns. The Home Depot Canada also offers more than 1,500 Eco Options
products, including all-natural insect repellents, organic plant food and
vegetables in biodegradable pots. The wide array of Eco Options also includes
compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs, programmable thermostats, cellulose
insulation, front-load washing machines, and certified wood. The company also
offers the only national recycling program for CFL bulbs.