From:
Brian Ames <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 2008 17:52:59 -0400
http://maarec.psu.edu/CCDPpt/CostsharingProgram.pdf

Cost-sharing Program for Pesticide Analysis of Honey Bee Colony Matrices (honey, wax,
pollen, bees, brood, etc.)

Based on recent evidence of high pesticide levels in wax, pollen and brood, beekeepers have
expressed an interest in having samples from their own colonies/apiaries tested for pesticides.
The USDA, National Science Lab in Gastonia NC is capable of screening all hive matrices for
up to171 pesticides at or near the ppb level.   This lab is part of the USDA’s Agriculture
Marketing Service (AMS) and conducts a program to collect and analyze  pesticide residue
levels in agricultural commodities, including honey.  These data are confidential and the property
of the contractor.

Although the AMS cost of analysis is below commercial rates, the analysis of individual samples
is costly. The cost of analysis for coumaphos and fluvalinate in wax is $90 per sample. The cost
of full pesticide screening (171 pesticides) in any hive matrix is $205 per sample. We have
received funding from the Foundation for the Preservation of Honey Bees and Project Apis
mellifera (PAm) to establish a program to help reduce the cost of these analyses. This funding
allows us to pay half the cost of the analysis per sample. Beekeepers wishing to have samples
analyzed will pay $45 for miticides, or $100 per sample for the full screen of 171 pesticides.

The information generated from individual samples will become part of a large centralized, and
highly confidential data-base maintained at Penn State.  In addition to the analytical results of
your samples, we will also provide data on all samples analyzed up to that point in time (your
levels compared to the average level and range in the entire data base).

If you are interested in participating in this program, please contact Maryann Frazier at the
address below and we will provide you with information on submitting samples for analysis.
We are particularly interested in encouraging the participation of organic and small beekeepers
in this program.

Maryann Frazier
Senior Extension Associate
Department of Entomology