From:
Bill Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2011 07:57:51 -0500
Bob, thanks for the reminder of your BC article on your comb honey
technique.  I don't know how many of you picked up this little nugget but it
has saved me a lot of frustration with comb honey production.  I need 10-12
supers of cut comb honey every year to produce chunk honey - a piece of comb
placed in a jar of liquid honey.  I used to make up supers of cut comb
foundation and the trick was to find the hives that were the best comb
producers in an otherwise extracted honey operation.  I don't need perfect
comb honey, just good solid frames of comb honey.  Bob's technique of
placing a frame of comb honey foundation (or empty frame or one with a
starter strip) in the center of lot's of 9 frame extracting supers works
like a charm.  I mark the center frame with a 'C' and load the supers on the
hives.  Come extracting time I just sort out the good looking comb frames
and store the supers of comb honey in a chest freezer for later use.  Thanks
Bob for the tip - it has made comb honey production much easier.

Bill Lord

Louisburg, NC (34 N)