From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 19:53:31 -0700
Adony,
Something to consider here. I did with husband for many
years virgin queen cell drops into our colonies that had
the queen cells contained in 3 dram bottles with not other
bees allowed in contact.

With queen cages normally other nurse bee workers are
added.

With the queen IMPOV never having been touched by another
bee then no smell is on the queen with those queens
released directly from queen cell containers only or bottle
containers.

With Workers in the same cage IMPOV the scenario changes
and the queen takes on the smell of the first bees touched
and while introducing same, many are rejected becasue of
this. For the queen smells foreign and something to
confront.

Always said we had high 90% to 95% success rate in dropping
in virgin queens and no fighting noticed while doing, for
she would take on the scent of the first bees touching her
and act like a supercedure queen FWIW, with royal court all
around her within very few minutes.

Sincerely,

Dee

Need Mail bonding?