From:
Keith Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 06:02:31 -0800
> WHO??? is going out skiing and planning to
> be under an avalanche later the same day?

Nobody, yet still it happens on occasion. Nobody deserves or plans to die under an avalanche, but it happens. The trick is to realize it can happen and be prepared for the possibility. Once your under 10,20,30 or more feet of snow it's to late to say "Darn, I should have been ready for this" or "I never thought this would happen to Me". Avalanches also nail and take a toll on snow machiners from high marking. A dangerous field of play. As far as skiers getting nailed by an avalanche, back country skiing or heli skiing are probably the most susceptible. Resorts do a fairly good job of avalanche control.

 . ..   Keith Malone, Chugiak, Alaska USA, http://www.cer.org/,
c(((([ , Apiarian, http://takeoff.to/alaskahoney/,