From:
Ron Bogansky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 15:18:46 -0500
Hi Folks,

I have been a member of this list for at least 12 years.  I can honestly say
I have read 85 – 90% of the posts during that time.  While I am not a
regular contributor I think I have posted enough times that at least some of
you know me.  I also take the liberty of referring to the members of this
list as my beekeeping friends.  This list is by far one of the best places
to find out where all the action is with respect to beekeeping.  If you
subscribe to this list (even only as a lurker) and at least one (preferably
two) of the major bee publications you can consider yourself a well-informed
beekeeper.  Many of the members of this list also publish articles in the
publications.

I have known a few beekeepers in the past that try to keep bees the same way
they did before all of the problems hit and obviously failed miserably.
Most of them don’t have computers and don’t subscribe to the publications.
They own an old bee book or two and have no clue what is on the forefront.
Thankfully they at least attend a meeting or two to find out what is going
on.

Lately, however, this list has seemed to shift focus.  Most of the posts
have been gloom and doom, and argumentative at times.  I personally have
contributed to this so I am not finger-pointing.  We have always had some
“hot” topics.  I can only imagine some of the posts that get rejected on
certain subjects.  Over the years some regular contributors have left
because of strong disagreements.  Others have noticeably departed for
unknown reasons. Quite honestly, I have also thought about signing off.  I
enjoy nothing more than a strong debate and have been told, much to my
surprise, that I may be “opinionated”, so it stands to reason that I am
comfortable with much of the recent discussions.  However, I think for the
sake of the silent majority on this list we need more balance.

In the past along with the controversial topics there were many helpful
ones.  I have a hunch that new beekeepers visiting this list may not stay
around because they may not be getting the help they need and may even be
afraid to ask.  I am not advocating for a newbee to post a question for help
on the most basic of topics; something they will find an answer to in the
archives.  What I would like to see is something posted in the way of
sharing simple new methods, tools, unique equipment sources, ideas, etc. We
don't have to reinvent the wheel just share some common sense suggestions.

I guess somebody has to start so it might as well be me.  I will send a
separate post on a new subject so as not to get tied into this one.  That
way for those of you who wish to reply to this one telling me to keep my
bright ideas to myself, should have no problem.  I hope the new thread adds
to the fun and makes this list even more valuable then it already is, and
maybe introduces us to some new friends lurking out there.

Ron

Ron Bogansky
Kutztown, PA