From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Dec 2006 08:46:52 -0500
Chris Writes:
>I would suggest that with the diligent application of IPM the problem
may  go
>away.

Hello Chris!

The symptoms I am seeing in my area of Pennsylvania, whether much
different than that that seen in the south, I do not know.  But it seems
at least in my area, we are not dealing with a typical varroa
infestation.

In early August when I inspected some of these colonies, I remember
commenting to the owner of the bees about the strange absence of varroa or
associated symptoms.  July / August are time when varroa peak in our
area,  and the  apparent lack of varroa was something that I thought
was ‘out of the norm’ for the time of year.  This suggested to me the
possibility that varroa may not be a prime suspect in these cases, and
that symptom of depressed brood rearing may have extended several weeks to
more than a month earlier, well into the early flow!

My explanation to the owner of the colonies was that apparently the lack
of brood production was having a devastating effect on the varroa.
Actually, the evidence 'as I saw it' seemed to point towards varroa,  as a
potential victim in this event and not a culprit.

On the drive back home I was compelled to stop several times to check out
the local bee forage.  It seemed,  although forage was not as abundant for
the time of year as I would have liked to see, the affected colonies were
exhibiting symptoms that I would tend to associate with severe drought.
IMO, the level of bee forage available (again, not as abundant as usual)
was not matching the level of  stress I was seeing in these affected
colonies as far as forage availabilities are concerned.

Best Wishes,

Joe Waggle
Ecologicalbeekeeping.com
‘Bees Gone Wild Apiaries'