From:
Mike Griggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:23:43 -0400
I have been following the discussion on favorite books which is quite
interesting in of itself!

The part where I feel that the older texts play an important role is in
filling in the gaps.  Sure many of the older books are more likely to
hold antidotal observations rather than scientifically validated facts,
however these older texts are rife with good observations.  It always
impresses me to read "factual" texts of the early 1900's as opposed to
current scientific papers.  They would add in all kinds of observations
which editors of today would strike without a second thought.
Observations of behavior, the weather, details that are not mentioned
in todays fast paced, just the facts, style of reporting.  Often the
details provide more than materials, methods, results!

These older books allow beekeepers to look at where we have come in
beekeeping.  While we are still operating with post civil war bee hives
we have added sophisticated energy intensive tools to increase our
level of productivity.  When and why were these tools & procedures
added or by whom?  What was the thinking behind introducing certain
strains of bee? What has been the motivation behind moving from one
chemical treatment to another?

Amazingly, our core tools--hive tool, smoker, boxes etc remain
relatively unchanged since 1900.

As a side to my few cents I would like to add that the digitization of
the EF Phillips Rare Beekeeping  Book Collection is currently underway
some of the pre 1925 volumes selected are being prepared to be mounted
on-line for anyone to view!

For more information explaining the program & where the first volumes
should appear check visit  EAS website or download the following PDf

http://www.easternapiculture.org/programs/phillips.pdf

cheers
Mike Griggs
Entomologist/ Support Scientist
Plant Protection Research Unit
USDA ARS, U.S. Plant, Soil & Nutrition Lab.
Tower Road, Ithaca, NY  14853
http://www.ppru.cornell.edu/PPRU.htm

phone:  607-255-1085
fax:        607-255-1132