From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2007 07:27:18 -0400
Jerry Bromenshenk wrote:

> Just because some of the initial reports of CCD were from beekeepers,  most
> of whom admitted to having mite problems, does not mean that all cases  of CCD
> are mite related.
It am saying that the real problem for beekeepers is Varroa/Tracheal.
CCD may be around, but it is not the major problem.

The problem I have with CCD is that it did not appear in Maine with the
colonies brought up for blueberry pollination. CCD like symptoms were
noted but all were explained because there is an experienced observer
here in Maine who has seen it all. Not to disparage University
researchers or bee experts, but they are not really experienced in the
world of Bees like the Bee Inspector of the caliber we have in Maine.

CCD like symptoms are not new since there is Disappearing Disease and
Spring and Fall Dwindle. Lots of hypothesis as to what they are.

Beekeepers tend to see what they think they see and not what is actually
there. Nothing new here. We are all subject to our own prejudices (I
included). Beekeepers will not necessarily tell you everything, since
some of their techniques may bee off-label. Plus all of us have a
certain sense of ego protection and would like to be thought of as
competent to know what is wrong with our bees. After visiting commercial
operators in the Blueberry barrens, that is questionable.

As long as you have to rely on the beekeeper to give you a "before"
snapshot, and often an "after" also, you have a major science problem in
identifying just what causes CCD. The same problem exists if the
observer is from a University but does not have many years of field
experience to know what they are actually looking at.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine