Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 2011 21:52:32 -0500
Hey ...lighten up Jerry...This is a concept not an actual design. The
website describes this in their 'Probes' section

Fair enough, except that I've had lots of people sending this to me,
thinking its real, and even one bee equipment company was hawking it as if it
were an actual product.

Now, as per keeping bees indoors, getting people interested - I've had a
variety of observation hives that I've kept for nearly 40 years, on campus,
in a  building with fellow researchers who  are allergic and open windows
just  above, and no problems other than learning to avoid swarms.

And I spent my first decade sampling colonies for pollution studies in
urban settings - rooftops, decks, stands, etc.

I'm a STRONG advocate of keeping bees like this.  I just think this
Phillips concept is a poorly presented concept, it takes a good idea and  fails.
Whoever drew this thing up didn't know much about bees - and as  such, it
spreads misinformation.  Of course, I'm also married to an artist,  and I've
learned to appreciate abstract art, but an abstract insect to  me still has
to have six legs, cows have to have 4 teats, etc.

That said, I've been toying with a notion of a feral colony type, heat
formed, lexan, observation beehive.  Even gone so far as to buy the  materials
a couple of years ago.

Jerry