From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2007 13:34:35 -0400
Dick Marron wrote:

> not before, since most are fall treatments and are isolated to deeps, where
> the bees and brood are.<<<<
>
> The trouble I see here is that it presumes the season is over in July
> sometime.
Not sure how you came to view July as the fall. I do not treat until
November in Maine. Yes it is cold, but OA can be administered down to
freezing. I extract twice, one in late July early Aug and once in September.

Even things like Apistan have the strips go on after the last super is
off, usually in September in Maine which means they would be removed in
November.

I hoped that Ari would step in on your use of OA, but my recollections
on its use is only one time in the fall and you might get by with two in
the spring. If you give two in the fall you are asking for disaster
because you will weaken the bees and they probably will not survive the
winter. This is an area which I hope Ari will address since he knows
what is recommended in Europe. Plus, I do not like the vapor method. It
seems the EU uses the drip method, but again, wait for Ari.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine