From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 00:40:22 -0500
Scot,
The closing of my friend Horace Bell's Honey farm has left a big void in
Florida. Maybe the right time to start.

You seem sincere so I will give advice .

 >Why funding? Because I can't quit my job to work on
the bees full time unless I can write myself a paycheck first.

Many beekeepers look for employment outside of beekeeping at first  a couple
days a week . A few of those jobs will offer insurance. Security work &
public school jobs are a couple but sure there are many others.

 > I need money to buy lumber

If you get with a couple other commercial beekeepers you can go in on a
large order . The large beekeepers buy knock down hive bodies and frames
cheaper than they can buy the lumber and make. Skids, tops and bottoms can
*in my opinion* be made cheaper if you use a different design.

 >and buy a truck to for hauling,

Buy a small truck and rent a large truck at first.

> I can pay off a loan within 3 to 5 year if EVERYTHING goes
wrong.

I never borrowed for beekeeping. Kind of grew into beekeeping. I would
volunteer if you with a commercial beekeeper of the size you want to be. You
will learn tips none of us share! I am as serious as a heart attack!

 I have got a young guy I mentor (about like you).
He comes out in 100F. weather and helps pull supers. Whatever I buy in bulk
he gets the bulk price. My partner and I haul his bees for him (even to
California). I let him use my honey house the last two years. He realizes
when he helps us we will help him. He asks us for advice and we give him the
best advice we can.

You find a 500 hive beekeeper in your area and give him a hand and I doubt
you will be sorry. One young beekeeper with bee fever is worth 2-3 laborers
in my opinion.

> That number is 250 hives, BUT as the numbers work
its actually cheaper to start with 500 hives.

Plan carefully. Think outside the box. Look for a niche market,. if you plan
on packing then you need to run less hives. packing honey & delivering to
stores takes time. Selling at markets takes time. if you plan to sell in
bulk then you need a higher number of hives but you have got more time.

All those little things you need cost money and will add up.
Beekeepers auctions will save you big dollars.

 > I haven't even added in pollination into my figures yet.

If Bell honey was still in business in Florida I  doubt you would get a
bunch of pollination business but the time is right so pollination might be
the way to go. Contact Jerry Hayes as I believe a few growers are looking
for bees to replace the Bell Honey bees.

>Why am I using disaster case
numbers in my business planning? Because I need to show that I can do it,
even when things get tough.

All agriculture is a crap shoot. Weather is always a problem. Divorce is
common with beekeepers. When things need done you have to go. Miss kids ball
games! Family get togethers! Little time for hobbies! An understanding wife
is an asset! The other kind is a nightmare! I have had both!

I missed a graduation tonight of a fellow which works for me (he understands
but wife did not). I worked today from five AM till eleven thirty and will
be up at five Am. I am working on a hand washing station for the honey
processing area with an air hand dryer. Also hanging some vinyl strips to
keep bees out of the bottling area as a new girl is scared of bees. I was
gone for three days to Marla Spivak's queen rearing course in Nebraska so am
behind. In today's fast  beekeeping world you can not be a recluse. Keep
informed.

I wish you the best of luck in beekeeping!

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison