From:
Debbie Hutchings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 10:51:03 -0500
Hi!
I'm not as experienced as some of the other bee keepers on the list, but I've had experience with bringing my hives into the basement of my house.  I winter in single brood chambers, which I think would be easier for someone like you, to get to the cluster, to get a bee. First you want to pick a spot in your basement where the bees are keep in total darkness, or they will come out of their hive and become lost.( no sun to help them navigate back home.)  You can use a red light bulb for your light as my experience, the bees can't see that light and won't come out of their hive.  I also keep the temperature around 35 to 40 degrees F.  I found that the bees don't use as much food at that temp, because they don't have to create as much heat for themselves. At that temp they stay semi dormant. I also supply them with sugar water 3 sugar/ 1 water with T myosin and Fumiasin just in case they become short on food. I found that my hives will have a greater build up in the spring and I think it is because my queens start to lay earlier than they would if left outside. I live in the Ottawa Valley here in Ontario were we have pretty cold weather and lots of snow and freezing rain. I have 25 hives.

Debbie