From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2016 13:10:13 -0500
>I realize that off label use of pesticides is common among beekeepers, always has been. But I don't think it should be recommended in a >public forum, without mentioning that it is against the law. These laws are designed to protect people from the unscrupulous.

I fully agree with Pete and Randy that it should be made clear that Bayvarol (flumethrin) is not approved in the US and where it is approved it is not labeled for SHB. However a read of the label makes it seem pretty safe as far as contamination goes.

>Safety first!... Flumethrin, the active ingredient in Bayvarol Strips, is highly selective against the Varroa mite, while not affecting the bee >colony, thus giving an enormous margin of safety. Even with the most sophisticated current analytical techniques, no residues can be >detected in the honey, and no withdrawal period is required. This also means that treatment can be carried out at any time, though the >ideal time is in late summer, immediately after the honey season.   http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/bayvarol.html

I also believe that if Charlie ships a couple of loads of highly infected colonies to almonds in Feb. they will be in my neighborhood in April. What to do? My opinion is that what would be useful on this list is an informed discussion of the merits and pitfalls of use for SHB and make recommendations for an experimental model. Is it in fact safe and effective? Can it be used in traps where the bees do not come in direct contact? More questions and answers from those much more qualified than I to comment.

It is true that the wait for approval from USDA can be a long one. If not for Taktic many commercial operations would not have survived. I knew of several formulas, towels, grease patty, cotton balls, etc. etc. and tried and failed to get scientists to give an opinion. I know, but disagree, with their constraints. We now have more options that are mush better, organic acids, tymal, and Apavar.The ultimate dream is of course resistance. We could still be waiting but for the off label users. We need protection from the unscrupulous, absolutely true, they are among us. We can benefit from the knowledge of qualified people, also true. The legalities of a discussion are also beyond my knowledge. I don't want to shut down the list, I would hope that we could try to solve problems or at least get closer to a solution.

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA