From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 20:56:24 -0700
> Had he been a good beekeeper...  my guess is...

How can anyone be a judge -- especially from a distance?  Who knows why the
hives broke down again?   Why had they broken down the first time?  Could that
have not been the cause the second time?  And a third or fourth?  Why guess?  Is
the man dumb?  Can he not speak?

It may have been honey in a local dump that caused the second breakdown -- or
his ignorance, or just dumb luck?  Who will ever know?  What does it matter?  We
know how to control the situation and reduce the infestation levels towards
zero.  If we talk.

Calling one beekeeper 'good' and, I suppose, another 'bad' is not at all useful
IMO.  who ever sets out to be a 'bad' beekeeper?  That kind of finger-pointing
and value judgement is s simply destructive and contributes to the kind of
alienation that prevents our working together and understanding what is
happening.  What IS certain is that guessing is wrong if the facts are
available, and facts these days are abundant.

> Take malaria. You can issue quinine or whatever the treatment is
> now to everyone and continue that treatment forever, or you can drain the
> swamp...

There was a time when we thought we could just drain all the swamps, but now we
know that is not a good idea.  We are in a new world where there are no right or
wrong answers, and each situation is unique.  Sometimes we drain a swamp, and
other times we find another way.

Old paradigms die hard.

allen