Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2008 19:20:51 GMT
>>I agree with this idea and am wondering if anyone has suggestions as to how to begin.

Kirk Webster of Vermont has a very sustainable operation.  [He's described his operation in ABJ.]

Essentially there is an isolated mating yard where he raises nucs using virgins from is his best queens.  The isolation gives him good control over the drones.  The forage in this isolated spot is reportedly much, much less than ideal so there is great selection based bee foraging ability.

After heavy losses, he started out with Russion stock and varroa tolerance/resistance is a key characteristic in his selection process.  He does not use any chems.

Nucs and queens that do well are used to replenish any losses in his honey yards and/or are sold to other beekeepers.

Very few of us have the benefit of being isolated but I believe most of us should be raising our own queens and selecting from the best.

Waldemar