From:
Richard Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2008 19:12:38 -0500
I have no scientific proof.

I am on swarm call and removal lists for the Cincinnati and Souther
Wester Ohio region.  During our local swarm season (two weeks to
either side of Mother's Day, depending on the weather) I received 12
swarm calls.  I also received 8 calls regarding cut-outs (something I
think we will see more of as the housing collapse and foreclosures run
their course).

The kicker though was in September.   The remnants of Hurricane Ike
rolled through and I received 32 different calls regarding bees in
trees or damaged homes (roof lines mainly).  All but three were indeed
honey bees.  So I think 29 calls seemed a good sign to me.  Not good
for them but proof that in an urban environment bees seemed to have
been doing quite well.  Where there is smoke there is fire and while
these bees all died (the amount of damage was quite amazing and
expected for 80 to 90 MPH sustained winds in some cases) I am sure
there are other colonies in trees and in homes.  There were other
calls to other beekeepers who also dealt with the problem (though I
believe there are only a half dozen of us that do this sort of service
in the region).

Again, certainly not scientific proof, but in my little world it seems
like ferals or how ever you would define non-managed individual
colonies seem to be in abundance at some level here.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855