From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 2010 06:53:55 -0800
> Researchers have always steered clear of pointing fingers at the pesticide
industry.

> > Only a hypothesis but I can assure you many U.S. commercial beekeepers
> will say they wished they had never started going to California as that was
> when their troubles first started..

And somehow exposure to pesticides in Calif almonds then leads to their
problems?  Odd hypothesis, since most Northern Calif commercial beekeepers,
who are most intimately exposed to almonds, simply haven't experienced the
sort of collapse problems that out of state beekeepers have.

> >One told me almond pollination can be described like the beekeeper stuck
> in the mud wanting another beekeeper to get in the mud with him and try to
> pull his stuck truck out.

Thank you for that, Bob!  Please spread that word widely, as it will help to
maintain strong rental prices for almond pollination.  Last year, out of
state beekeepers drove down the prices to the point that I had difficulty
placing my hives.

> >Reports are of a huge shortage this year in almonds.

I am currently at the Calif State Beekeepers Convention, and have spoken
with several large brokers and others in the know.  So far, I have heard no
mention of an expected huge shortage, although it is too early to tell how
out of state beekeepers hives will fare in the next few months.

> >realistic question:  What will almond growers do if they can not get
> enough bees from U.S. beekeepers?

Bob, since when did you begin to adventure into reality?  Answer:  they will
raise the offered price by a few dollars, and more hives will appear.  I'm
surprised that you haven't noticed the pattern!  The largest almond grower,
Paramount Farms, just did so.  Last year, their beekeepers supplied hives at
an average strength exceeding nine frames.  This year Paramount bumped up
the price slightly to ensure that they got the bees they need.

Randy Oliver
Grounded in reality in California