Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 12:35:30 GMT
>>so that any syrup honey made by the bees is either used for
brood/hive feed or is capped and so there is no danger of the honey
being contaminated by what was fed earlier.

Mike, while I agree with most of what you've said, I must point out
that bees will uncap cured sugar syrup and move it right up into the
supers as they expand the broodnest.  And they will do it very
quickly.

One can't assume they will use it exclusively for brood-rearing at
all.  In fact, bees will first use incoming nectar to feed the brood
and move the already cured honey/syrup up into the supers above the
brood nest.  Why should they dilute the cured stuff and then
evaporate the incoming nectar?  It would not make sense - it would be
extra, unnecessary work for the bees.

I think it's good to stimulate brood rearing but not with the vast
amounts of of sugar syrup some folks use.  You should always adjust
the amount of feed to the number of covering bees.

Waldemar
Long Island, NY