From:
Buzz Landon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 22:55:17 -0500
Beekeepers -

I am a new Bee-L subscriber and this is my first post. I am a second
generation beekeeper in Northern California near Chico. I do not understand
how there can be confusion on grading or how a beekeeper can be so surprised
to see grading if they have been in the industry for any length of time. I
can remember my dad's hives being graded back in 1982, this is nothing new.

Grading is good for both the beekeeper and the grower. The grower usually
has no clue as to the strengh of hives. He is not a beekeeper but paying for
a service provided by us beekeepers. If the grower has a question as to the
strength of the hives he can call for a grade. And as long as your hives are
the strength that you promised in your verbal or written contract there
should be no problem. Grading is good for the beekeeper because it gives you
the ability to have an outside, unbiased individual come and proove to the
grower the strength of your hives. I attending the California Queen Breeders
meeting in Ord Bend, CA last month and three county Agricultural
Comissioners also attending. These people stated that they would have
graders (trained, county employees, not other beekeepers) available to
growers a beekeepers, for a fee, to grade the hives upon request.

Almond growers are paying us beekeeper for a service that we promise to
provide to them. You must provide this service. Would a beekeeper sell 800
lbs of honey but tell the purchaser that there is 1000 lbs and expect to get
paid for the 1000 lbs when you are only providing 800lbs??? That is not
practicing honest business. And I guarantee you that you are not going to
get that customer back next year. You must provide what you promise to provide.

Buzz Landon