From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2017 12:26:52 -0500
>>>  , if you've 50,000 baby nuc boxes, ... <><><>   Out of curiosity, does anyone know how many man hours it takes to evaluate the laying production of that many nucs?  Would surely affect the cost of queen production.
Mike in LA

A good catcher spends about 3 minutes on each queen he catches, and loading and evaluating that box. ( filling feeder is a separate guy,  but included in the labor time)(some need new nurse bees)  Yes  I have done time studies on it.( I am a ME what can I say)   That’s not time to and from yards.

Trip back to yard next day to plant queen cells takes an average of 30 seconds per hive.
So with 20.00 queens (large producers) a good catcher is caging  400.00 an hour worth of queens.....  Were that straight profit!   Still need to  take out grafting and travel,  and losses..  such as a bad weather week

Charles