From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2006 23:48:15 -0500
Lloyd,
Thank you for your comments.

Relating to label instructions:

I suggest that label instructions attached to biocides are there for
diverse purposes.

To guide the end user into a more responsible mode of application, thus
reducing the possible negative impact of novel molecules on the biosphere.

To reduce the chance of legal complications falling upon the head(s) of
the manufacturer(s).

To limit the possible hazards a user opens themselves to during use of
such products.

Problem is, as you elude to, humans are involved. Instructions are not
followed, understood or are ignored.

Treated cereal seed with clear instructions to destroy packaging are
left in fields, as are pesticide containers.
The seed itself according to instructions must be buried to specified
depth - only to be viewed in redundant piles again in areas where spill
has occurred.

Look into the multitude of "land tips" on private farm land - they are
littered with various types of container leaching material into the
local aquifers.

One could continue "ad infinitum" with historical and present day gaffs.
This jaundices my trust for the future when statements such as " things
are better controlled nowadays" are flown. Especially if such statements
are backed up with " .....as far as present day knowledge
indicates.......". Being truly applied, this is possibly the ultimate
let out clause.

Beekeepers - use Checkmite (Coumaphos), then do what with the used
strips. There is no organised method of recycling to ensure proper
disposal after use.

Historically the answer to disposal included dependence on natural
dilution of toxic matter. That or destruction into some other form that
was / is considered less harmful that the original material. The
planetary condition is witness to the consequences.

As you mention - tightening of regulations and procedures has reduced
some problems that occurred in the past.
I suggest that this has only occurred in jurisdictions that are tightly
constrained - in many other regions this is not the case. Cash and
profit have a loud voice.

Once the molecules are released into free for all environment - we find
it most difficult just to follow where they go, never mind attempting to
follow the web of metabolite activity. Therefore regulations with built
in safety factors may sound convincing but are often sitting upon the
quicksand of vast unknowns.

So, do we let the poor die? Where is the change? - its being happening
for millennium.

Taking Malaria bearing mosquitos as an example - it is not really
believed is it, that they are going to be eventually wiped out!
I suggest not - and after resistance appears, we will be left with an
even more contaminated world with an increasing malarial problem. A gain
of a number of years.

Hindsight is laughing at human effort. It was known that dependence on
toxic molecules was doomed to failure via. the ever present enemy of
resistance. So, why not put more into novel techniques of approach (and
my let out: Don't ask me what they would be because if I did I would not
be sitting here doing this).

Beekeeping is running the same historical line regarding control of AFB,
Varroa for two simple examples.

Keep on upping the dose, toxicity to fight the evil? Even that is
running out on us.

My opinion is that as a species we cannot go on polluting our home and
something has to give.

Yikes, this could get involved .........better stop here.

Regards,
Peter

PS: Lloyd your mails are always read, thoughts and opinions respected.