From:
P-O Gustafsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 15:04:07 +0200
> From:    Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
>
> "Some negative attributes have been found in the Russian stock. The traits
> needing improvement include high supersedure rates."

There is study made in Germany, presented at the IBRA conference in Cardiff July
2002 by Stefan Berg. I have a reference written by Dr Ingemar Fries and
published in the commercial bee mag. in Sweden. Original article was published
in Allgemaine Deutsche Imkerzeitung.

Short translation:
Primorsky bees were imported from USA 2000 and distributed to research
institutes. 64 colonies were used, two lines of Primorsky bees and two different
Carnica lines. They were all started as shook swarms and infected with varroa
mites.

The colonies were checked every third week (during active season) and amount of
bees and brood noted. Mite drop registered every week, and total mite number
counted 308 days after start when all bees were killed and mites on bees and
brood counted.

During the first weeks the varroa population increased slower on Primorsky bees
compared to Carnica. After 10 months there were no difference in varroa
population between the lines.

Primorsky bees has showed to be considerably more swarmy, aggressive, and
produce substantially less honey than german Carnica bees.

The article ends with a recommendation from the German Bee Institutes
Cooperation Council for the present to avoid using Primorsky bees.

--
Regards

P-O Gustafsson, Sweden
[log in to unmask]  http://www.algonet.se/~beeman/