From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2017 16:28:55 -0500
Randy:  "During cold winters, no bees are looking out the entrance. "Szabo, at 55N in Alberta, observed that his wintering colonies appeared to rear brood all winter long."

I've run experiments looking at brood nests monthly, all winter long - one trials was with 48 colonies for two years before VM (varroa mite) and another was 42 colonies in a much more recent, after VM) year.   I've also done winter experiments periodically over 43 years in MT.

Our  queens shut down in September.  They don't start up till after February - I've never seen winter brood in colonies wintered outdoors.

I've always heard the Szabo comment, and I've never seen evidence of this.  Perhaps it was the race of bees he had, some form of mountain bee.  But I've not even seen Caucasian's do  this in MT.  Perhaps he has the rare, native Yukon Territories Honey Bee, historically tended by Sasquatch?

Jerry