From:
B Farmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2013 23:42:00 -0400
>Generally creatures
get bulkier the further from the equator or sea level they are.

I wonder how this affects super-organisms such as honeybees.  Does the body size of individual bees get larger, or would latitudes closer to the poles produce larger colonies?  Or both?

I would speculate that over extended periods of breeding, it would result in colonies with a larger wintering cluster, as smaller winter clusters would die out easier.

Then again, honeybees are tropical insects, and over extended periods of breeding, we may find that honeybees do not survive altitudes closer to the poles without human assistance.  Isn't that why wild honeybees don't fare too well in much of Canada?