Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 19:42:50 -0400
In reading all the expert advice on the different breeds of bees it is
stated by several that the Italian is a short range bee. What is short
range and compared to what. When I was much younger I purchased five
packages of bees of the Italian breed. I was told not to expect any honey
crop the first year. I was too young and too dumb to listen to all the
expert advice then and after the bees had drawn out the foundation in the
single supers that I started them in I gave them all a comb honey super on
top of a queen excluder. They made me five supers of comb honey. I didn't
know anything about upper entrances or feeding bees or most of the stuff I
should have known. All I did was get into the hives every seven days rain
or shine and cut out the queen cells to prevent swarming and there were so
many bees they didn't have any place to go except up. I supose this was
pure beginners luck but it happened. Now I am starting out with two hives
that I bought from a bee keeper and I would have been better off to spent
my money on two packages, which I will do next spring but you can bet they
will be Italian, just because of this experience. Any comments will be
appreciated. Incidently I live in North Central Illinois about fourty miles
from Wiconsin. Thanks Bobbee